Flores, Bajawa to Ende 120 Km, 6 Hours
Completed in July 2010 this Lodge is based on sustainable design principles. There are 10 light and airy Chalet style rooms with western/balinese style bathrooms. The restaurant serves a range of Indonesian, local and western style meals and beer and wine is available from the bar. Complimentary tea and coffee is available 24 hours. Perched above a river and enjoying spectacular views of Mt Kelimutu this highland, solar powered Lodge, provides a peaceful, cool and relaxing retreat.
This lodge is an eco lodge because we attempt to protect the environment by various means.
WATER all water is re cycled through 3 water –garden systems to prevent pollution of the river and to irrigate the garden.
The bathrooms are supplied with either solar hot water or gas water heaters, where it is too shaded for solar. Water is pumped from the river to a settling tank, then up the hill, by electricity.
Drinking water comes from a U.V. purifier.
POWER A first in Flores, we have a system of solar panels, storage batteries and inverters which blend solar power with the small amount of local electricity available. Please be careful!
REFUSE a major problem, we recyle, reuse and as a last resort send to Maumeres dump. Kitchen waste is composted or given to the pigs.
CONSTRUCTION is of local materials, stone and bamboo
STAFF All our staff are local
Activities and tours available from Kelimutu Crater Lakes Eco Lodge
Kelimutu crater lakes for dawn
The Kelimutu National Park entrance is a short 20 minute drive, with an easy 20 minute walk, with steps, to the specatcular coloured lakes – returning for breakfast.
Or alternatively walk down, about two hours, and on the way:
- Visit-weaving villages
- Traditional dying villages
- Traditional chiefs houses
- Hot springs, natural or enclosed
Half day or full day tours
- See the ‘MOMI’ or mummy, with an intriguing history at the village about 45 minutes down the road to ENDE
- Detusoko Hot springs, a municipal enclosure with very hot water. About 60 minutes along the road to ENDE
- View from a high plateau village reached from the road to ENDE, about 90 minutes drive from moni.In the other direction, on the road to MAUMERE
- At Wolowaru visit the keshew nut processing plant or just buy keshew nuts or donuts.12 km from the lodge.
- From Wolowaru go to the coastal village of Nggela, with its pebble beach and different Ikat weaving motifs and 30 km further on is another coastal village with traditional houses and weaving.
- Walks of any length, guided if wanted for birdwatching and spotting butterflies.
- From the Lodge to Moni village is a pleasant 15 minute walk past ricefields. Moni has a few small shops, local eateries, and on Monday and Tuesday mornings, a colourful local market.
Saint Francis Guesthouse
Wisma Santo Fransiskus or Saint Francis Guesthouse was built by the Sisters of St Francis for religious purposes. The guesthouse, later on, started receiving foreign visitors who were seeking a much better accommodation in comparison with the already existing homestays in Moni. It is also known as Missionary Guest House.
Wisma St. Fransiskus is about 33 km from the colored lakes of Kelimutu. Normally guests start off early morning from the guesthouse to catch the sunrise in Kelimutu while enjoying the natural wonders that surround it.
The guesthouse provides a simple but clean accommodation. The rooms for guests and the main dining room are located on the ground floor while the sisters occupy the second floor. There are regular prayers on the second floor where the sisters and the orphans staying in the dormitory nearby share the room for daily prayers.
The income of the guesthouse is mainly used to fund the social works of the St. Francis Sisters in Detusoko. The main areas which the sisters work in are: housing the orphan children neglected by their parents and giving them the appropriate formal education they deserve.
Facilities: Banquet/Function Facilities | Languages Spoken: Indonesian | Address: Wisma St. Fransiskus – Detusoko, Detusoko
Hotel Dwi Putra, Ende
Hotel Dwi Putra is the biggest hotel in Ende. The rooms are housed on a 4 storey building where the owner also shares the space for living on the second floor. The hotel management which is controlled from the second floor, where the restaurant and all the administration process located, is run by the owner – a lady assisted by her daughter.
- Car Parking
- Meeting Room(s)
Address: Jalan Yos Sudarso, Ende